Dr Conal Perrett
& Dermatological Surgeon
MBChB FRCP(LON) PhD(LON)
Dr Conal Perrett is a leading Consultant Dermatologist & Dermatological Surgeon and the founder of The Devonshire Clinic
An expert in all skin conditions but has a special interest in skin cancer, utilising the most advanced techniques including Mohs micrographic surgery and photodynamic therapy (PDT).
Dr Conal Perrett’s primary areas of expertise
- General dermatology
- Skin cancer
- Mohs micrographic surgery
- Skin surgery
- Laser skin treatments
- Photodynamic therapy (PDT)
- Cosmetic dermatology
One of London’s leading dermatologists
Dr Perrett has many years experience at the top of his field and continues to play a lead role in skin cancer and dermatology services within the NHS. At University College London Hospitals (UCLH) NHS Trust (www.uclh.nhs.uk), where he is a Consultant Dermatologist & Dermatologic Surgeon, he has led the skin cancer service and established both the Mohs micrographic surgery and the Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) services.
At Harefield and Royal Brompton NHS Trust, the largest specialist heart and lung centre in the UK (www.rbht.nhs.uk), Dr Perrett established and continues to run a specialist clinic for patients with heart and lung transplants. This is an important service as organ transplant patients have a 100-fold higher risk of skin cancer. In addition, he has a special interest in skin problems in other groups of immunosuppressed individuals including those with ‘blood cancers’ such as chronic lymphocytic leukaemia. Again, such individuals have a much higher risk of skin cancer which can also be more aggressive.
Dr Perrett is also the Dermatologist to The London Sarcoma Service at UCLH, looking after patients with cutaneous sarcomas. The London Sarcoma Service (www.londonsarcoma.org) is one of the largest Sarcoma centres in Europe and attracts tertiary referrals from across the UK.
He has also served as the lead for Mohs surgery on the London Cancer Skin Pathway Board and is an honorary senior lecturer University College London (UCL), one of the UK’s most renowned academic institutions.
Over the years Dr Perrett has also trained many doctors and attracts clinical fellows from other countries seeking specialist training in skin cancer and surgery.
During his career he has served as an invited reviewer for a number of medical journals including The British Medical Journal, Clinical and Experimental Dermatology, The British Journal of Dermatology and The Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology.
Additionally, in 2008 & 2009 he was an invited referee for the British Skin Foundation (https://www.britishskinfoundation.org.uk) Research Awards.
Dr Perrett is a member of several learned organisations including the Royal Society of Medicine, the British Association of Dermatologists, the British Society for Dermatological Surgery and the British Medical Laser Association and is also on the Board of The British Society for Skin Care in Immunocompromised Individuals.
Skin Cancer Research
As an established leader in his field, Dr Perrett remains passionate about advancing our knowledge and understanding of dermatology, especially skin cancer and its treatment. His continuing commitment to this involves conducting research alongside his clinical duties, encouraging and supporting others in this work, including personally supervising PhD research students. Dr Perrett has served on the examining board of the University of London for PhD, MSc and Final MB examinations.
In 2002 he was awarded a prestigious Cancer Research UK (CR-UK) Clinical Research Fellowship working at their world renowned London Research Institute (now relocated to the Francis Crick Institute www.crick.ac.uk), as well as the Blizard Institute of Cell and Molecular Science at Barts and The London and the St John’s Institute of Dermatology. For his research on skin cancer was awarded a PhD by the University of London. He has presented his work nationally and internationally and published in world class journals including Science (www.sciencemag.org).
Dr Perrett began his medical career at the University of Bristol, before moving on to postgraduate studies in Oxford and London, achieving membership of the Royal College of Physicians in 2001 and elected as a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians in 2013.
Since then, he has undertaken extensive specialist dermatology training at some of the UK’s leading hospitals, including Barts and The London and The Royal Free Hospital, as well as completing a dermatological and Mohs surgery fellowship at the University Hospital of Wales’ Welsh Institute of Dermatology.
- Tea tree oil dermatitis associated with Linear IgA Disease. Perrett CM, Evans AV, Russell-Jones R. Clin Exp Dermatol 2003;28:167-70
- Cyclosporin in childhood psoriasis. Perrett CM, Ilchyshyn A, Berth-Jones J. J Dermatol Treat 2003;14:107-112
- Gravitational Erythema. Perrett CM, Berth-Jones J, Dharma B. Br J Dermatol 2003;148 (6):1267.
- Etanercept-induced Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Swale VJ, Perrett CM, Denton CP, Black CM, Rustin MHA. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2003 Nov;28:604-7
- Teicoplanin Induced Drug Hypersensitivity Syndrome. Perrett CM, McBride S. BMJ 2004;328(7451):1292
- Topical 5% imiquimod treatment for refractory cutaneous warts in immunosuppressed individuals. Perrett CM, CA Harwood, CM Proby, VL Brown, JM McGregor. J Am Acad Dermatol 2004 (part 2); 50: Number 3
- Expression of DNA mismatch repair proteins hMLH-1 and hMSH-2 in cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma. Perrett CM, McGregor JM, Cerio R, Karran P, Harwood CA. Br J Dermatol 2004;151(Suppl 68):81-90
- Actinic prurigo associated with cutaneous B cell lymphoma. Perrett CM, Cerio R, Khorshid M, McGregor JM. Br J Dermatol 2004;151(Supp 68):106
- Topical 5% imiquimod treatment for refractory cutaneous warts in immunosuppressed individuals. Harwood CA, Perrett CM, Proby CM, Brown VL, McGregor JM. Br J Dermatol 2005 Jan;152(1):122-9
- Atypical fibroxanthoma in a renal transplant recipient. Perrett CM, Cerio R, Harwood C. Histopathology 2005;47(3):326-7
- Primary cutaneous B-cell lymphoma associated with actinic prurigo. Perrett CM, Cerio R, Khorshid M, McGregor JM. Br J Dermatol. 2005 Jul;153(1):186-9
- Azathioprine and UVA light generate mutagenic oxidative DNA damage. O’Donovan P, Perrett CM, Zhang X, Montaner B, Xu YZ, Harwood CA, McGregor JM, Walker SL, Hanaoka F, Karran P. Science. 2005 Sep 16;309(5742):1871-4
- Treatment of basal cell carcinoma with topical methylaminolaevulinate photodynamic therapy in an organ-transplant recipient. Perrett CM, Tan SK, Cerio R, Goldsmith PC, McGregor JM, Proby CM, Harwood CA. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2006 Jan;31(1):146-7
- Topical photodynamic therapy with methyl aminolevulinate to treat sebaceous hyperplasia in an organ transplant recipient. Perrett CM, J McGregor, Barlow R, P Karran, C Proby, CA Harwood. Arch Dermatol. 2006 Jun;142(6):781-2
- Treatment of post-transplant premalignant skin disease: a randomized intrapatient comparative study of 5-fluorouracil cream and topical photodynamic therapy. Perrett CM, McGregor JM, Proby CM, Karran P, Warwick J, Leigh IM, Harwood CA. Br J Dermatol. 2007 Feb;156(2):320-8
- Novel DNA lesions generated by the interaction between thiopurines and UVA light. Zhang X, Jeffs G, Ren X, O’ Donovan P, Montaner B, Perrett CM, Karran P, Xu YZ. DNA Repair (Amst). 2007 Mar 1;6(3):344-54
- Vulval intraepithelial neoplasia and periungual Bowen’s disease concordant for mucosal (HPV-34) and epidermodysplasia verruciformis (HPV-21) human papillomavirus types. Ekeowa – Anderson AL, Harwood CA, Perrett CM, Sahota A, Annan H, Ran H, Leigh IM, Gibbon KL. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2007 May;32(3):304-7
- Reactive oxygen-mediated damage to a human DNA replication and repair protein. Montaner B, O’Donovan P, Reelfs O, Perrett CM, Zhang X, Xu, YZ, Ren X, Macpherson P, Frith D, Karran P. EMBO Rep. 2007 Nov;8(11):1074-9
- Azathioprine treatment photosensitises human skin to ultraviolet-A radiation. Perrett CM, Walker SL, O’ Donovan P, Warwick J, Harwood CA, Karran P, McGregor JM. Br J Dermatol 2008 Jul;159(1):198-204
- Dermoscopy of trichostasis spinulosa. Pozo L, Bowling J, Perrett CM, Bull R, Diaz-Cano S. Arch Dermatol. 2008 Aug;144(8):1088
- PTCH mutations in basal cell carcinomas from azathioprine-treated organ transplant recipients. Harwood CA, Attard NR, O’Donovan P, Chambers P, Perrett CM, Proby CM, McGregor JM, Karran P. Br J Cancer 2008 Oct 21;99(8):1276-84
- Expression of DNA mismatch repair proteins and MSH2 polymorphisms in nonmelanoma skin cancers of organ transplant recipients. Perrett CM, McGregor JM, Cerio R, Karran P, Harwood CA. Br J Dermatol. 2010;162(4):732-42
- Atypical Fibroxanthoma in an HIV infected individual. Perrett CM, Macedo C, Francis N, Ion L, Bunker CB. J Cutan Pathol 2011;38(4):357-9
- Key questions: Skin Cancer. CM Perrett. Pulse. October 2012
- A crusted lesion on the penis. Wilmot MC, Perrett CM, Calonje E, Weir, Bunker CB. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2014;39(2): 238-9
- Treatment of multiple periocular eccrine hidrocystoma: is botulinum toxin or electrocautery more effective? Meys R, Perrett CM. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2015 Jan;40(1): 101- 3
- Chandrakumar A, Veitch D, Proctor I, Hughes S, Perrett CM. Primary eccrine carcinoma treated with Mohs micrographic surgery and adjuvant radiotherapy. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2015 Mar; 40(2): 204-5
- Cirsoid aneurysm: a clinicopathological reminder. Veitch D, Kravvas G, Perrett CM. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2015 Oct;40(7):822-3. doi: 10.1111/ced.12611. Epub 2015 Mar 1
- A Case of Hereditary Leiomyomatosis and Renal Cell Carcinoma. Mehrtens S, Veitch D, Kulakov E, Perrett CM. Case Rep Dermatol Med. 2016;2016:3793986. doi: 10.1155/2016/3793986. Epub 2016 Apr 7. PMID: 27144040
- A Case of Bullous Skin Disease Presenting with Odynophagia: A Diagnostic Challenge. Kravvas G, Veitch D, Perrett CM. Case Rep Dermatol Med. 2016;2016:2839104. doi: 10.1155/2016/2839104. Epub 2016 Mar 14. PMID: 2706627
- Mohs Micrographic Surgery for the Treatment of Superficial Angiomyxomas Aberdein G, Veitch D, Perrett C. Dermatol Surg. 2016 Aug;42(8):1014-6.
- Lymphoepithelioma-Like Carcinoma of the Skin- A Rare Tumor Treated by Slow Mohs Micrographic Surgery. Tzanidakis K, Noy ML, Calonje E, Perrett CM. Dermatol Surg. 2017 Apr;43(4):595-597.
- Rapid ex vivo examination of Mohs specimens using optical coherence tomography. Rashed D, Shah D, Freeman A, Cook RJ, Hopper C, Perrett CM. Photodiagnosis and Photodyn Therapy. 2017 Sep;19:243-248. Doi:10.1016/j.pdt.2017.06.0006. Epub 2017 Jun 12
- Multicentric visceral epithelioid hemangioendothelioma, with extremity dermal deposits, unusual late recurrence on the nasal bridge and TFE3 gene rearrangement. Thway K, Mentzel T, Perrett CM, Calonje E. Hum Pathol 2017Aug 27.pii:S0046-8177(17)30302-7.doi:10.1016/j.humpath.2017.08.020 (Epub ahead of print)
- Inherited palmoplantar keratodermas: the heart of the matter. Thomas LJ, O’ Toole E, McGrath J, Freeman A, Perrett CM. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2017 Sep 22 (Epub ahead of print)
- Metastatic Pleomorphic Dermal Sarcoma. Kravvas G, Logan I, Perrett CM. Astaric pleonais Brasileiros de Dermatologia. 2018 Mar;93(2):307-308
C Angwin, E Ong, I Logan, C Perrett. Myofibroblastic Sarcoma: Clinicopathological features and experience from a Sarcoma Tertiary Referral Centre. American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) Annual Meeting, San Diego March 2018
I Logan, K Vrobel, C Perrett. Pleomorphic Dermal Sarcoma: a tertiary referral center 5-year surgical experience. Br J Dermatol 2017;177(Suppl 1): 104-127
I Logan, K Vrobel, C Perrett. Pleomorphic Dermal Sarcoma: clinicopathological features and outcomes from a 5-year tertiary referral centre experience. Br J Dermatol 2017;177(Suppl 1): 128-139
Attard N, LI F, Gueranger Q, Harwood CA, McGregor JM, Perrett CM, Karran P. DNA repair and azathioprine immunosuppression. Br J Dermatol 2012; 167 (Suppl): 114-126.
Maruthappu T, Side LE, Freeman A, Perrett CM. Sebaceoma in an immunosuppressed organ transplant recipient. Br J Dermatol 2012; 167 (Suppl 1): 114-126.
Maruthappu T, Perrett CM, Kumar VKA, Side LE. Isolated sebaceous skin tumours showing immunohistochemical loss of MSH2/MSH6 gene expression may not be associated with Lunch syndrome. Br J Dermatol 2012; 167 (Suppl. 1): 100-113
Perrett CM, Cerio R, Khorshid M, McGregor JM. Actinic prurigo associated with cutaneous B cell lymphoma. Br J Dermatol 2004;151(Supp 68):106
Perrett CM, McGregor JM, Cerio R, Karran P, Harwood CA. Expression of DNA mismatch repair proteins hMLH-1 and hMSH-2 in cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma. Br J Dermatol 2004;151(Suppl 68):81-90
Perrett CM, CA Harwood, CM Proby, VL Brown, JM McGregor. Topical 5% imiquimod treatment for refractory cutaneous warts in immunosuppressed individuals. J Am Acad Dermatol 2004 (part 2); 50: Number 3
- Perrett CM, Harwood CA, McGregor JM, Karran P. Carcinogenic mechanisms related to immunosuppressive therapy. Cancer Treat Res. 2009;146:123-32
- Perrett CM, McGregor JM, Karran P, Harwood CA. Thiopurines and the sun: what should be done? Clinical Dilemmas in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Edited by Peter Irving et al. Wiley Blackwell 2011.
Waiting areas, consulting rooms and treatment suites are well appointed and comfortable. Rapid access to the latest medical technology including MRI scanning, lasers and state-of-the-art day case operating theatres provides the highest level of diagnostic and therapeutic expertise to our patients.
An introduction to the clinic
MOHs micrographic surgery
Non melanoma skin cancer
I can’t recommend this clinic highly enough. The treatment I received for my skin cancer was first classAL, London
The team at the Devonshire Clinic were excellent. From booking my appointments to every part of my treatment, I felt that I was in the very best hands.CH, London
Before visiting the clinic I had quite high expectations, but I was blown away by just how brilliant the experience was. I felt like I was the only patient in the clinic. Simply the best medical treatment.SF, London
Consultant Dermatologists at The Devonshire Clinic contribute to research into the use of Nicotinamide in chemoprevention of skin cancer
Keratinocyte cancers are the most common type of skin cancer amongst the light skin popula[...]Read More
It is with great pleasure that we would like to share with you our latest contribution to [...]Read More